Okay, so not pilfered in the sense of stealing but definitely a top freebie find.
Having spotted some huge (2m wide x 1.5m high) sheets of perspex at work, looking like they were soon to be landfill, I soon found out that they were up for grabs, so grab I did.
I managed to get 3 of them back home on my roof rack and set about making something out of them with the kids.
I’d been wanting to make a lean-to for a couple of weeks, since witnessing how much more bushy my sister-in-law’s chilli plants were, when located in one; even in the wilds of Anglesey! I’d been pondering all day how to make something useable out of huge, flat sheets, when I didn’t have any decent perspex tools. I finally managed to coble together something, by heavily scoring one of the sheets and then snapping it (roughly) along the scores. It needs some filing down to make it work properly but here it is so far:
At the moment, it has some material from an old material green house blocking off a gap at the top. I might shorten the sides and make a pespex top, instead, as the material solution isn’t ideal, particularly in the wind.
I’ve got some salad lead seedlings, my chilli plants and some herbs that are just germinating in there at the moment. I’ve definitely noticed a real improvement in the salad leaf growth, so it must be working.
I plan to make a more airtight and funky version, probably hinged, once I can get my head round it, so watch this space: !